Monday, August 17, 2009

My First Pattern

Puff Striped Slouch Hat

by Ashley Kaye


For this project I used an “K” hook and worsted weight yarn, Caron One Pound.

Gauge: After round 3, I measured about 3 1/2” in diameter. Round 8 was about 8 1/2” in diameter.

Pattern does not require very much yarn, less than one skein. Great stash buster!

Stitches:
Hdc = half double crochet
PS = puff stitch: *yo insert hook in next stitch, yo and pull up loop* repeat 3 times. Yo pull through all
loops on hook
Hdcdec = half double crochet decrease (*yo insert hook in next stitch, yo draw up loop* repeat. Yo draw through all loops on hook.

MC = main color (for mine it was brown)
PC = puff color (mine was beige)

Begin with a magic loop.

Round 1: Using PC * puff stitch in loop, hdc* repeat 5 more times. Join at top of puff stitch. Fasten off
Round 2: Join MC where PC was fastened off. Ch2 (counts as hdc in this row and throughout) 2 hdc
in each stitch around. Join at top of ch2
Round 3: ch2, hdc in same stitch. * 1 hdc in next hdc stitch, 2 hdc in next hdc stitch* repeat all the
way around and join at top of ch2
Round 4: ch2, hdc in same stitch. * 1 hdc in the next 2 hdc stitches, 2 hdc in the next hdc stitch*
repeat around and join at top of ch2. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join PC. Ch2 PS in the same stitch, *ch1, skip next hdc stitch, PS in next hdc stitch* repeat
around and join to the top of PS. Fasten off.
Round 6: Join MC at top of PS. Ch2, hdc in same stitch *hdc in ch1 space, 2 hdc in top of PS* repeat
around and join to top of ch2.
Round 7: ch2, hdc in same stitch *hdc in the next 5 hdc, 2 hdc in the next stitch* repeat around and
join to top of ch2.
Round 8: ch2, 1hdc in each hdc stitch around, join to top of ch2.
Round 9: repeat round 5.
Round 10: join MC, ch2. *1hdc in top of puff stitch, 1 hdc in ch1 space* repeat around, join to top of
ch2.
Round 11: repeat round 8
Round 12: ch2, hdc in next 3 stitches, * hdcdec over next two stitches, hdc in next 4 stitches* repeat
around and join to top of ch2
Round 13: repeat round 5
Round 14: repeat round 10
Round 15: ch2, hdc in next 4 stitches *hdcdec over next two stitches, hdc in next 5 stitches* repeat
around and join to top of ch2.
Round 16: repeat round 12
Round 17: repeat round 5
Round 18: repeat round 10
Round 19 & 20: repeat round 8. Fasten off.

Enjoy your new hat!! Feel free to make it for gifts or for sale. All I ask is that you reference me as the pattern designer.


Also, here is a link to the PDF if you prefer(it's easier to read and follow): Puff Striped Slouch Hat (it will automatically download once you click the link). Please note that on the PDF It suggests an "I" hook. I have since changed to a "K" as many have found it easier to obtain the gauge with the "K". Enjoy! and please let me know if there are any errors. Thanks!

22 comments:

  1. A big, big THANK YOU, Ashley! I'm making it as soon as possible {= when the yarn shop opens again} and will tell you if there's something wrong. :-D

    By the way, did you know Ravlery hosts PDF patterns, both free and paid? Then you won't have to look for webhosting elsewhere:

    http://www.ravelry.com/wiki/pages/Designers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I tried creating a pattern for one of my knitting projects once but failed miserably. Haha! :) I

    ReplyDelete
  3. one day you'll have to teach me your crafty ways. :) how was ballet??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first pattern! You are very generous. I would do as Alhana suggests and also host with Ravelry. Then you can have everything in one central place. If you choose to sell your patterns then you can have them in Ravelry and in your shop. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Ashley! I should try making patterns one day.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I jut finished my own version of this, I really enjoyed working on it. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I made this hat and I am trying to post a pic on ravelry but I'm new to it so I cannot really operate the site that well. I added the pics on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151286926626675.514448.669496674&type=1&l=f5e6b3b3ea
    I loveeeee this pattern so much, thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!!! You should link this pattern and your other free crochet patterns at www.theyarnbox.com It might help boost your views even more! Again, I love it!! Sharing this on my stitch11 fb page :D! Ty for the awesome pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley! I just finished your pattern! It was very easy to follow and my hat came out GREAT! Wish I knew how to send u a pic of it. You can see it on my FB page...www.facebook.com/hooksoflove

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I came across this pattern just love it! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochet.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would love it as well, and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Please let me know if this would be ok. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Jenny
    Jbenoit@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The link to PDF file says that the file no longer exists. Phooey.
    Can you update it?
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, I haven't been updating my stuff lately. life happens! :-) if I can remember how I did it originally I most certainly will! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. This is a pretty great pattern idea, but for some reason the final product came out WAY too small. I used the correct gauge and hook size, but it came out the size for an infant! Also, it was kind of really annoying how i had to keep looking back to other numbers instead of the row just repeating what that number said. it made things way too confusing. I dont think I'll be using this pattern again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem. It seems that the pattern may work with bulky yarn which was the suggestion on allfreecrochet.com. I modified the pattern a bit using worsted weight yarn and increasing the number of rounds. Here's what I did: Round 1: Using PC * puff stitch in loop, hdc* repeat 5 more times. Join at top of puff stitch. (6 puff stitches, 6 hdc) Fasten off
      Round 2: Join MC where PC was fastened off. Ch2 (counts as hdc in this row and throughout), hdc in same stitch, 2 hdc in each stitch around. Join at top of ch2 (24 hdc)
      Round 3: ch2, hdc in same stitch. 1 hdc in next hdc * 2 hdc in next hdc, 1 hdc in next stitch * repeat all the way around and join at top of ch2 (36 hdc)
      Round 4: ch2, hdc in same stitch. 1 hdc in next 2 hdc, * 2 hdc in the next hdc stitch, 1 hdc in next 2 hdc* repeat around and join at top of ch2. (48 hdc) Fasten off.
      Round 5: Join PC. Ch1 PS in the same stitch, *ch1, skip next hdc stitch, PS in next hdc stitch* repeat
      around and join to the top of PS. (24 puff stitches, 24 ch1 spaces) Fasten off.
      Round 6: Join MC at top of PS. Ch2, hdc in same stitch, hdc in ch1 space, *2 hdc in top of PS, 1 hdc in ch 1 space* repeat around and join to top of ch2 (72 hdc).
      Round 7: ch2, hdc in same stitch, hdc in the next 5 hdc, *2 hdc in the next stitch, hdc in next 5 hdc * repeat around and join to top of ch2 (84 hdc)
      Round 8: ch2, hdc in same stitch, hdc in next 6 hdc, * 2 hdc in next stitch, hdc in next 6 hdc. Repeat * around, join to top of ch2 (96 hdc)
      Round 9: repeat round 5. (48 puff stitches, 48 ch 1 spaces)
      Round 10: join MC, ch2., hdc in ch 1 space, *hdc in puff stitch, hdc in ch1 space* repeat around, join to top of ch2. (96 hdc)
      Round 11 – 12: ch 2, hdc in each hdc around. (96 hdc)
      Round 13: repeat round 5 (48 puff stitches, 48 ch 1 spaces)
      Round 14-16: Repeat round 11 three times (96 hdc)
      Round 17: Repeat round 5 (48 puff stitches, 48 ch 1 spaces)
      Round 18 – 19: repeat round 11
      Round 20: ch2, hdc in next 5 stitches, hdcdec , *hdc in next 6 stitches, hdc dec *repeat around and join to top of ch2 (84 hdc)
      Round 21: repeat round 5 (42 puff stitches, 42 ch 1 spaces)


      Round 22: ch 2, hdc in next 4 stitches, hdcdec, *hdc in next 5 stitches, hdcdec * repeat around and join to top of ch 2 (72 hdc)
      Round 23: ch 2, hdc in next 3 stitches, hdcdec, *hdc in next 4 stitches, hdcdec * repeat around and join to top of ch 2 (60 hdc)
      Round 24: ch 2, hdc in next 7 stitches, hdcdec, *hdc in next 8 stitches, hdcdec * repeat around and join to top of ch 2 (54 hdc)
      Round 25: repeat round 5 (27 puff stitches, 27 ch 1 spaces)
      Round 26 - 27: ch 2, hdc around, join to top of ch 2 (54 hdc)

      Delete
  13. I LOVE this pattern! and so does everyone that I've ever made it for! Such an awesome slouch, it lays great and is soooo quick to whip up in one night! Can't thank you enough for this gem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this slouchy!thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SMH ... I can't believe I just paid for this pattern and here it is free!! Anyway, it is a very nice pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this up tonight, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete